Friday, June 14, 2013

It's been awhile...but wanted to share an important link

Okay, okay, so it's been awhile since I've posted anything.  It's not because things aren't happening, but rather, it's been hard to sit down and write.  I'm trying to get more organized and am even putting an app on my phone...we'll see.
The reason I'm posting today though is just to share a link I've been waiting for...
I've read alot of critiques of child sponsorship programs for years, especially since I started volunteering with one ten years ago.  I was a reluctant volunteer.  To be honest, I wasn't completely sold that it made much of a difference to students and it seemed a little bit exploitative.
Then I began working with the families.  I realized quickly it wasn't just about helping the kids, but providing relief and a helping hand to the families who were struggling just to send their kids to school.  I've seen mixed results from my viewpoint.  Mixed in the sense that I don't always get to know what happened to certain kids.  Most would advance and graduate, as several are this month.  We had kindergarten students finish today, and more are taking national exams in the next 6 weeks.  The results don't always come right away or at once.
I had a friend send me a link on facebook asking if our stats reflected what Christianity Today reports below.
 http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2013/june/want-to-change-world-sponsor-child.html?paging=off

Sadly, I've had neither time nor funding to do a similar study or analysis, but still it's nice to have this kind of data for those who appreciate it.  What I know is that sponsorship or wisely investing in the education and training of the young, makes a huge difference.  I know because of the families I talk to day by day, the way I see them praying for their donors, and the majority of people I see making a difference in the community in which I live.  Those who are making a difference in the lives of others, paying it forward so to speak, are those who have likewise received targeted help in the past.  Don't tire of doing good people, it does make a difference from my viewpoint.  (Today's grads featured below)

No comments: